Saturday, December 8, 2007

Potato-Shallot Sambhar/Eerulli Alugadde Huli

I remember when I used to go jogging early morning during my bangalore days.. My dad and me made it a point to visit a different eat out cafe after jogging for a steaming idli with sambhar. This sambhar always fascinated me. The flavour was so enticing. Potato Shallot sambhar is almost served in any eatery throught Karnataka and tastes delicious nomatter where it is served. Nothing can go wrong with this combination.


Here is an authentic version of this sambhar from my grand mother which I cherish...


Ingredients:
1cup potato cubed
1cup shallots
1tamato
1/2cup toor dal
1/2 cup moong dal
2tbsp fresh grated coconut
a small piece of jaggery/sugar can be used if jaggery is not present
3tsp sambhar powder
1tsp tamarind paste
oil, jeera, mustard, hing, curry leaves for seasoning
For sambhar powder
2tsp dhania
1tsp jeera
1tsp pepper corns
2tsp urad dal
handful dry red chillies
Fry all the ingredients till nice aroma comes and grind it to a fine powder.
Method:
In a pan, add 2tsp oil, add hing and shallots fry for 3mins. Now in a pressure cook both the dals along with potato, tomato and the shallots in oil together adding little water till the dal is well cooked. Dont overcook since the shallots may disintegrate.
In another vessel, add the seasonings and now add the pressure cooked mixture, add sambhar powder, jaggery, coconut and salt and mix everything and boil for 5minutes. Now add tamarind paste and boil for 2mins more. Garnish with coriender.
Serve this sambhar with idlis/vadas/rice or drink it as it is like a soup...


1 comment:

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Lovely!!! I dont know of anyone who dislikes this combo.... Thanx for sharing the recipe!